Monday, August 25, 2014

My apologies to the departed

This past weekend we took a whirlwind trip to the southwestern corner of the Minnesota to attend Daryl's grandma's funeral. It was a bittersweet weekend, but we filled it with family and parks and puppies.



puppy!


The service itself was a lovely tribute to Grandma Olive, and the church was inundated with her family and beloved friends. I didn't spend a whole lot of time sitting down listening to any of what was being said, though, since I was on toddler duty. And overall it was fairly unremarkable, up until we drove to the cemetery for the interment and Margot pulled an almighty stunt. She snuck off a few feet away from where we were all standing, leaned down on all fours hovering over somebody's gravestone, and spat out a mouthful of chewed-up banana onto it. Daryl and I both noticed it, and were horrified, albeit we couldn't stop laughing. Of course we scolded her, stifling our laughs, and then inadvertently had to scold her again when not ten minutes later she wandered back to the same gravestone and found a little bit of leftover banana on it and smeared it all over the place. Insert absolutely mortified emoji here.

We spent one night in a hotel, which I can effectively say was a nightmare consisting of sharing a bed with a toddler with a horrible cough and an inability to lay in the same position for longer than 60 seconds. She screamed and cried when we tried putting her down in her pack 'n play, so after an hour we caved and brought her to bed with us; and nary did I get a wink of sleep thanks to the non-stop jabs of her knees, elbows, feet, hands, and little bum flying around everywhere. I don't for the life of me know how people bed-share with their kids. I was up all night.

No matter, though, because on the drive home she went from this to this in about three seconds flat and she stole my heart with how adorable she is and suddenly it didn't matter that I hadn't gotten a wink of sleep the night before. 


No I'm just kidding. It sucked. She's cute, but nobody's THAT cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment